Search This Blog

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Still Can't Catch My Breath

I thought I might be left gasping for breath. I wasn't sure if it would be the blood pooling in the chest cavity or the goo squirting out of the organs that would get to me. I thought that maybe the appalling smell or disgusting texture would leave me breathless. I also considered that the sound of ribs being broken and skulls being sawed open might bring me to my knees.

I had no idea that the beauty of the human body would leave me gasping for air.

I'm clerking for the Los Angeles District Attorney for the second half of this summer, and my supervisor thought it would be a good idea to have me witness an autopsy. Today was the day that I was subjected to and enlightened by the demolition of a dead body for scientific purposes. I, along with two other attorneys and two medical students, watched an autopsy of a 24 year old Guatemalan guy from the side of the autopsy table (yes, close enough to see, hear, smell and even touch the body).

I never once felt squeamish or weak at the side of the blood, skin, bone and organs. In fact, I was immediately intrigued. The wonders of the human body that I've heard about my entire life were right there in front of me. I was struck breathless by the beauty and intricacy of the design of our chest cavity. The way that our organs are situated next to each other seems to be a seamless fit. I was truly in awe at the depth of purpose and design that is inherent in our physical bodies.

I don't ever want to see another autopsy, but I'm pretty happy that I saw this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers